There was something lacking in the brocade birds on the crepe ground. I couldn't quite identify the problem, but eventually I decided that the crepe was too fussy and didn't recede enough. I went back to all granite for the ground weaves. Then I tried to weave the piece upside down, which is much easier in the brocade motifs, as the brocade wefts don't go selvedge to selvedge. I used a separate yarn butterfly for each brocade motif. Here's how that looked on the weaving (wrong) side:
Sadly, I had to abandon the upside down method, as I couldn't catch errors on the underside (right side) as I was weaving. So back to right side up weaving. Here's the first full bird piece on the loom, woven right side up:
Warp is black cotton, ground weft purple cotton, and brocade weft peach hand-dyed soy silk. This fabric is fiendishly difficult to photograph on the loom (like a black cat in a dark room), but the above will give you some idea. Here's a closer view:
The slightly mottled look of the shiny hand-dyed brocade wefts is very effective against the darker patterning in the ground.