Adding a third weft to lampas changes all the relationships. The aspect ratio changes, but so does the weft coverage. This is especially apparent in the secondary cloth, where you would normally want the weft to predominate. In the following cloth, the background is primary cloth, the blue rings are the first weft of the secondary cloth, ad the red circles represent the second weft of the secondary cloth, in other words the third weft of the whole package.
But adding that third weft suddenly reduces the amount of coverage, and the design has a sketchy appearance. Closeup follows. Click to enlarge further.
Opening up the sett would give me better coverage, but then the aspect ratio would change, too. Decisions, decisions! I decided to try other wefts which might give different amounts of coverage, even though they were of similar grist.
Here are first results:
That's still not what I had in mind. Short of resleying, which I won't do today, I don't know how I will be able to fix this. I think weaving with finer wefts will do the trick; but then the design file would have to be redone to elongate the liftplan, which would make for many more wefts and endless weaving hours.
I'm not a patient weaver—I'd much rather spend my time designing or warping (or blogging, even)—so I think I will just move on and say I've learned my lesson.