My neighbor is an avid gardener, and her daffodil display is especially good this year. Lucky me! I get to see this every morning:
Meanwhile, back in the studio, my daily samples of the silk project continue. I started out with a sett of 36 epi, which was way too dense. Then I went down to 30 epi. Still not good. Finally at 24 epi things were looking better, but my beat was still to heavy. The backstory: a cone of 12-strand natural silk, which had sat on the shelf for years, was begging to be used. I combined it with a cone of fine cocoa worsted wool for a 4-color doubleweave fabric. The wefts were gold silk noil and a singles beige shetland. The idea was to combine these four earthy colors for an understated agate effect.
My daily routine was 1. weave a sample; 2. cut it off and wash it; 3. wait for it to dry and evaluate it. Here's the result of the first three days.
Getting closer. I think the one that's on the loom now is the best one and I'm ready to warp up the full project. But I'll wash it first and then make a final decision.