Where has the time gone? Lots of weaving time, not much computer time. That is a good thing.
Also staying away from radio & TV as much as possible these days. Reduces the crazy factor. :-)
More DDW samples, this time in a linen/cotton from Gist, along with some 10/2 cotton for the other layer.
I wanted wide selvedges, with the layers quite separate. On the loom it looks sleazy. I hoped that would change in the wash. It did, but not enough. And now I have ruffles. An interesting development, but not what I was looking for.
Also, the linen/cotton yarn was rubbing too much at 3 ends per dent.
So-o-o, I reduced the size of the selvedges, opened up the sett from 30 epi to 24 epi, and tied on a new warp, this time substituting 8/6 cotton for the 10/2.
The weaving went much better.
Here's a closeup of one of the samples. You can see that I reduced the width of the selvedges. I also added an extra selvedge thread of 10/2 cotton to the outside, just in case. I was still concerned about the durability of the linen/cotton, which is rather loosely spun.
After I cut the three samples from the loom, I photographed them on both sides. It's amazing how different front and back are in this structure. There seems no easy way to predict, short of weaving actual samples. Weaving software helps a little, but you really have to weave the structures to be sure of how they will turn out.
Stay tuned. The samples are in the washing machine at this very moment.